Remember When.. Take a Trip With Me :)
Remember When.. Take a Trip With Me 🙂
I have been off work today.. No – not because I am half American and celebrating Thanksgiving! Because I have another kidney issue! I was inspired to look back and remember with nostalgic fondness that almost led me to tears at times, some of the wonderful things that were simple, so uncomplicated and so awesome about being a kid in the 70’s and 80’s.
I Invite you join me here! I want to know your memories, the things that make you dreamy when you look back at them. Ladies will relate more to my girlie memories, but guys, let’s hear it from you too!
And as so many of my friends are of various ages.. let’s here about your later memories of your early life.. let’s smile together, laugh, share and dream in this!!!
– The smell of new Barbie toys! I loooooooooooooved that smell.. I particularly remember receiving the Barbie Airplane for Christmas when I was ten. I cannot get that “plastic toy” smell near me without that memory! Ooooh their long perfect legs, the life I created for them and their girlfriends and boyfriends.. the clothes they would change out of every hour of the day, the perfect little houses, endless shoes that quickly lost their mates.
– Driving. Do you remember driving as a kid? I mean… seat belts were not the law here in Ontario until I was twelve. The freedom of lying down unencumbered by that annoying strap.. not that I don’t advocate them now.. but man there was nothing like piling 10 kids in the car – ok – maybe 15 and going out with Daddy for a soda or ice cream!!
– Sunday afternoons. Always a nice family dinner. Always Tiny Talent Time (I loooooooved that show!!!!!!!!!!), then followed by Animal Kingdom, which was a very violent show for it’s day and time! And who remembers the Sonny and Cher Show? The Caorl Burnette Show? Donny and Marie (listen to me sing.. “I’m a little bit country.. & I’m a little bit Rock & Roll..”) (Dear Lord! I still remember the words to all of those show’s theme songs!!!!!)
– Bay City Rollers!!!!!!! OH YEAH!!! S-A-T-U-T-D-A-Y night!!!!!!!!!!!
– Leif Geret!!! (problem number one with him – no guy was or is allowed to have prettier hair than me!!)
– Strawberry Shortcake BEFORE she made a comeback!!
– Madeline the book.. Oh have I not read it at least 3000 times “In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines…..”
– Curious Geroge – lol – he always did the stuff that I dared not to!
– wearing earth shoes!!! I got my first pair for my eleventh birthday – I remember thinking how heavy they were and wondering why anyone liked them after all but I could not tell Mom that as I had just received them as a gift!
– Pocket Fisherman!!! Yahoo!!! I soooo loved mine!!!
– “coffee, tea, or a flick of my Bic?”
– “my husband. Some hotshot.. here’s his ancient Chinese secret.”
– Creamsicles on hot summer days that cost a nickel but bought more joy than almost anything else you could think of when ever you would have them.
– When keeping up with latest home entertainment meant one colour TV that had a Remote control as big as the family bible?
– When it was coold to hang out in the back yard with all of your friends untill eleven just so that you could play “Grease”.. (I still remember ALL of the words to ALL of the songs from that movie and can still “Hand Jive” with the best of them!)
– sleeping with a Raggedy Ann doll
– The next Christmas getting a Raggedy Andy doll and sleeping with him too! (if someone said that to us now. we would just think that is soooo wrong!!!)
– Going to the beach for the first time in the summer so that you could make sure to get a really good burn.. Of coursre that meant you were going to have a really great tan after!!! Oh and if you were me… lots of freckles too!
– bubble shaped, clear umbrellas!!!!!!
– Baby Aspirin – and it actually tasted good!
– Being given Cod Liver Oil when you were sick! *PUKE*
– flap-down pyjamas!
– singing “Jeremiah Was a Bullfriend” with your best friend knowing.. just knowing for sure that you were gonna grow up to be a REAL rock star!!!
– Tiger Beat!!!
– Pet Rocks (Oh God, why do I remember that???)
– getting your monthly comic book in the mail and pouring over the pages for days and days trying to make it last
– getting fast food – the twice a year you were allowed.. and that was a TREAT!!!
– Never being bored outside in the summer.. and if you were, you could always just sit under a tree and read!
– walking to school alone at the age of 5!
– knowing you had to go inside now ’cause the street lights just came on
– getting iodine poured over your scraped knees
– all the words to the “I am stuck on Band-Aids” commercial
– Bonne Belle’s roller tip lip gloss – the flavours were to die for!
– Playing Red Rover, Hide and Seek and tag as part of your every day summer life
– Never for a second considering staying inside for the day unless your mom figured out that you had a fever over 101 and even then you would try to negotiate your way outside.
– prank phone calls (ooooh noooo… I NEVER made them).. ahahahaha NO such thing as call display or *67 then!!!
– phone booths were the only way to call home away from home… EEEEEEWWWW at the thought of the germs on them now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
– The Brady Bunch before it was all reruns.. Partridge Family too!!!
The best thing of all to me was being able to be outside all day showing up just at meal times and then in by “streetlights”.. which of course meant that we all went in for 2 seconds, told our moms which veranda we would be hanging out on and staying up for 2 more hours singing, telling stories and just. being. kids.
What do you remember?? Share with me!